fbpx

The Favoured Few: The Regular Force Cadets 1948 – 1991

COMING SOON…opening mid December

A new exhibition highlighting the establishment and function of the Regular Force Cadet School, which began its life in Trentham in 1948, before moving to Waiouru until its closure in December 1991.

Between 1948 and 1991, over 5000 New Zealand youths, at an average of 120 per year, entered the New Zealand Army’s elite Regular Force Cadet School or the “Club” as it was commonly known. Less than 3% of those who applied to join made the grade. The Army accepted them as young as 15 into its ranks offering continued education, trade training and apprenticeships. Most would go on at age 18 to become the backbone of the New Zealand Army serving with distinction in Korea, Borneo, Malaya, Vietnam, Bosnia, Afghanistan, East Timor, Iraq and other regions of conflict as Senior Non-Commissioned Officers (SNCOs). A few would earn commissions as officers. Some went on to serve with the NZSAS and as key personnel of other Regular Force units.