Important Update: Entryway Project 2017
25/07/17 – ongoing
|The Kippenberger Military Archives and Research Library is currently open but may close on short notice. Please contact the museum in advance to ensure it will be open during your visit. If closed, library and archives staff will remain available for visitor enquiries upon request at reception or via our online enquiry form. Please note that the Military Archives are available by appointment only.|
The Kippenberger Research Library has an extensive collection that specialises in military history, with an emphasis on New Zealand. This unique institution possesses some remarkable collections that are available to the public for research and study.
The impressive General Collection contains both historical and contemporary resources which include official histories, unit histories, biographies, campaign studies, weapons and medals, to name a few.
Military History Collections
As well as General Reference Collections, the Kippenberger Library has several special collections including:
- The Kippenberger Collection
- Ion Mackay Collection
- Official War Histories
- Quick Reference
- Royal NZ Artillery Collection
- Children and Youth War Literature Collection
- Rare Book Collection
Other material available in the library includes:
- Nominal and Embarkation Rolls (Boer War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Malaya, Vietnam, Bosnia and East Timor)
- Rolls of Honour (Boer War through to East Timor)
- Names of troopships and their departure dates
- New Zealand Army Lists
Military History Research Charges
Access to the Kippenberger Library is FREE.
Fees are charged for research carried out by staff and photocopying services.
- Photocopying – 50c per A4 page, $1.00 per A3 page
- Staff Assisted Research – If you require staff to conduct research on your behalf a fee of $20.00 per half hour will be charged
- Research Fee – a $5.00 fee is charged for assistance in completing applications for requesting service personnel files
If you would like further explanation of our research charges or wish to make an enquiry, please contact National Army Museum.
Kippenberger Library Hours
The Kippenberger Research Library is open 7 days a week:
- Mon–Fri 9:00am–4:00pm
- Sat–Sun Open on-call from 10:30am–4:00pm – please contact us in advance, of your research enquiry OR ask at Reception for assistance