Good Luck Charm
This colourful cross pendant was given to 31544 Lance Corporal Edgar Squire of the Canterbury Infantry Battalion by his mother as a good luck charm before he went overseas for World War One.
The swastika is a symbol used in Buddhism and in Hinduism, and became popular in the West 1880’s to 1920’s as a good luck charm/symbol until it was subverted by the Nazi’s.
It is not known if this cross was purchased in England or via a jeweller in New Zealand. It is understood to have been made by Adie & Lovekin Ltd of Birmingham (c1880-1910) circa 1910.
Edgar Squire left New Zealand with the 19th Reinforcements C Company Canterbury Infrantry Battalion 15th November 1916 on board either His Majesty’s NZ Transport (HMNZT) No 68 “Maunganui” or HMNZT No 69 “Tahiti”.