This artefact is a Tureen made by Royal Doulton which features the badge of the Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry (CYC). The CYC was first raised in November 1864 as a corps of three troops. It was the first cavalry unit to accept service under the 1865 Volunteer Act and gave the corps premier place in the list of precedence. For many years, the CYC was the only mounted unit in the South Island and after several changes to its size and name, it was part of the Canterbury Mounted Rifle Regiment in WWI. This Tureen is currently on display in the Harnessed: New Zealand’s War Horses display in the Freyberg Gallery.
Find out about our other museum artefacts and recent acquisitions.