This artefact is a M5A1 gun sight which was used on both Stuart and Sherman tanks for their machine guns during World War II. The gunsight was mounted through the tanks armour on a turret and has a rubber eye guard which blanks out the left eye. these types of gun sights were also used in many other armoured vehicles.
The sight was made by American camera company, Bell & Howell in 1942.
Find out about our other museum artefacts and recent acquisitions.