Important Update: Entryway Project 2017
|Temporary Closure of Archives and Library: Due to major construction work the Kippenberger Military Archives and Research Library will be closed to the public for approximately six weeks commencing 30/05/17. The scheduled reopening is expected to take place on 11/07/17 however this date will be confirmed closer to the time. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and encourage any research queries to be submitted through our online enquiry form. Throughout this period library and archives staff will remain available for visitor enquiries at the museum upon request at reception.|
The Kippenberger Research Library has an extensive collection that specialises in military history, with an emphasis on New Zealand. This unique institution possesses some remarkable collections that are available to the public for research and study.
The impressive General Collection contains both historical and contemporary resources which include official histories, unit histories, biographies, campaign studies, weapons and medals, to name a few.
Military History Collections
As well as General Reference Collections, the Kippenberger Library has several special collections including:
- The Kippenberger Collection
- Ion Mackay Collection
- Official War Histories
- Quick Reference
- Royal NZ Artillery Collection
- Children and Youth War Literature Collection
- Rare Book Collection
Other material available in the library includes:
- Nominal and Embarkation Rolls (Boer War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Malaya, Vietnam, Bosnia and East Timor)
- Rolls of Honour (Boer War through to East Timor)
- Names of troopships and their departure dates
- New Zealand Army Lists
Military History Research Charges
Access to the Kippenberger Library is FREE.
Fees are charged for research carried out by staff and photocopying services.
- Photocopying – 50c per A4 page, $1.00 per A3 page
- Staff Assisted Research – If you require staff to conduct research on your behalf a fee of $20.00 per half hour will be charged
- Research Fee – a $5.00 fee is charged for assistance in completing applications for requesting service personnel files
If you would like further explanation of our research charges or wish to make an enquiry, please contact National Army Museum.
Kippenberger Library Hours
The Kippenberger Research Library is open 7 days a week:
- Mon–Fri 9:00am–4:00pm
- Sat–Sun Open on-call from 10:30am–4:00pm – please contact us in advance, of your research enquiry OR ask at Reception for assistance