The National Army Museum has one of the leading NZ military research centres in New Zealand. Whether tracing your own family connections or researching New Zealand’s military history, the Army Museum is a fantastic facility.
The Kippenberger Military Archives and Research Library (KMARL) contains an extensive collection of published and unpublished material.
The KMARL provides a range of reference services:
- Books, general enquiries on New Zealand military history, unpublished material, photographs, letters, diaries, postcards, and other ephemera.
- A reference desk service where staff are available to help researchers.
- Photocopying services.
- An excellent Vertical File that contains photocopies of newspaper clippings and articles dating back to the 1940s.
- Indices and finding aids to access KMARL’s collections: including an in-house automated catalogue of our book collections.
- Reference service that can furnish queries by mail, telephone, fax, and email.
- The Official Histories of NZ in WWII and some WWI are available online.
- For personnel service records of servicemen or women post 1920 go to the Personnel Archives at NZ Defence Force.
- All other personal records prior to 1920 can be obtained from Archives New Zealand.