The National Army Museum is one of the best New Zealand museums for kids, combining an entertaining day out with education about our military history. With lots of fun activities and excellent tours arranged by the Museum’s Education Team, your children will have fun while learning. Sign up for Kidz HQ Membership to receive free National Army Museum entry for a year, special events and regular newsletters.
Term 1 April School Holidays 2017
Drop in these April School Holidays for an action-packed adventure at the National Army Museum Te Mata Toa in Waiouru. Fun, hands-on activities will be offered to children and families in our educational and interactive Kidz HQ space during the holiday period.
- Have a go at making paper mache poppy seed bombs
- Design a war medal ribbon
- Dress up like a real soldier
- Take part in our ‘NAM Rocks!’ rock painting project
Visitors to the Museum’s galleries can seek out hidden artefacts in our Mystery Objects treasure hunt and those keen for a challenge can discover the amazing creatures who’ve helped our soldiers at war with the Animals at War Activity Trail.
Additional Activities and Events:
- ANZAC Day – Tuesday 25 April, featuring dawn service at 6am, civilian service at 11am, military vehicle display and poppy air balloon display.
- Free outdoor exhibition Heartlanders: New Zealanders of the Great War
- Latest exhibitions Food Glorious Food: An Army Marches on its Stomach and Going Underground: Tunnellers in WWI (opens mid-April)
17th – 28th April
9am – 4pm, Monday to Friday
Animals at War Activity Trail
From war horses to wandering turtles, discover the amazing creatures who’ve helped out soldiers at war. Follow the trail through the Museum to find hidden artefacts and earn war medal stamps along the way! Try out this Animals at War Codebreaker to reveal the secret message.
Short Story or Poetry – Download Flyer (126kB) – (note this is no longer a running competition)
Write a short story OR piece of original poetry on one of the following themes: Remembrance, ANZAC Day, How I remember
Puzzles and Games
Arts and Crafts
- Make an Origami Tank